Walking...

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

While soaking my bum knee and ankle in the tub, I decided that along with Zumba 2-3 times a week, I needed to start walking more than just around the block every now and then. I try to do that daily, but sometimes the day just doesn't start out well enough for me to get going before it's too hot.

While contemplating, I remembered I live right behind Pfluger Lake. DUH. With a 3 mile trail. This means, once I get going, I can't just stop and go back to the truck... I'd have to finish all 3 miles because the only other way back is to swim, which would prove to be difficult with a toddler, infant and a double stroller.

I will admit... I'm scared of taking this on. Not really because my knee and ankle are messed up (thank you front door step for jumping out in front of me and tripping me...), but because I'm tired. Really, really tired. While doing zumba, I feel like I'm going in slow motion. I miss a lot of the steps and am winded by the first few songs. I don't think I've ever been this out of shape. But, I'm hoping the walking will help boost my energy levels a bit. I do have an intense zumba class tomorrow as well, so that'll be a lot of exercising, but Friday - Sunday will be kind of off limits.

My mom is coming into town sometime Friday. We have a birthday party that pretty much lasts all day Saturday. And Sunday is Liam's baptism. I will probably stay away from the lake on Monday as well because it's Memorial Day and people think that's the perfect day to go to the lake. Ugh. Tuesday, however is my next zumba class, so tomorrow will be a good judge on whether I can handle 3 miles plus zumba all in the same day.

On top of boosting my energy for Zumba, I'm hoping it boosts my energy for just the day. Today, I won the "Mom of the Year Award" and I still feel guilty. I put Kaylee down for her nap around 1:45-2. She typically will sleep anywhere from 2-3 hours. At the same time, I try to get Liam to go to sleep so I can take a nap as well. Around 3pm, that happened... so I let myself fall asleep. Remember how my monitor broke? Yea.. so I woke up at 6:45p. My poor kid was stuck in her dark room for almost 5 hours. She was ok.. she was just playing in there.. no crying or panic that I could tell, but she was thirsty. That also means that Liam took a REALLY long nap as well... which means my night should be fun. Here's hoping he's going through a growth spurt and still sleeps tonight. Eek!

2 comments:

Ange @ The Urban Cowgirl said...

My advice would be to take it slow. If you're extra exhausted from a toddler and a newborn, exercising too much may set you back instead of helping you move forward. Sleep and rest is FAR more important than exercise and if you had adequate rest your body will be able to repair itself after exercise. Without enough rest you'll be sore for longer and may eventually get injured.

Slow and steady wins the race :)

Kristal said...

Fair enough.... I guess after being pregnant and recovering from being pregnant for pretty much the last 3 years, I'm sooo tired of being this out of shape. I did 3 miles this morning. With a double stroller and 30 lbs worth of kids in it. Against the wind. It took me an hour and a half. While I would love to walk around the lake, I think I need a smoother surface for the stroller, so we'll have to find a paved hike n bike that we like.

Post a Comment