Se Habla Espanol?

Monday, May 7, 2012

Not in this household....

You would think being a border state that the majority of Texas would know Spanish. The truth of the matter is they don't start teaching it until middle school. And even then, you just have 1 class for the whole 3 years. When you get to high school, you just need 2 credits (2 classes).

Spanish is so prevalent in Texas though because of the immigrant population. Thankfully, Brian and I have agreed to give our kids the leg up. I just ordered my first language from Rosetta Stone. And if things go well, I hope to order at least one more that will be geared towards the tech industry - so probably an Asian language. The younger the kids are, the better they'll pick this up. We hope this works out because we certainly can't rely on our school system to teach our kids life skills - they are too busy teaching a standardized test.

I'm so excited! I hope I can pick up Spanish better. I can understand a good bit, but I can't speak or write it.

2 comments:

Rain said...

Great idea! I have thought about doing this many times. PLUS, if they learn spanish it is the "base" for a lot of other languages, and perhaps it will help them learn another language if they ever choose to?

Mr & Mrs T. said...

Absolutely... If they know Spanish, they can figure out Portuguese and Italian for sure. That's why we're thinking of doing an Asian language.. maybe we'll have a multilingual kid someday.. that'd be awesome!

Post a Comment