Productive Weekend

Sunday, May 6, 2012

It's amazing what can be accomplished when you only have one child....

My house isn't perfectly clean, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was a few days ago. The backyard has been mowed and edged as well. I'm content with how things are at the moment. So much so that Liam and I went to Home D. to shop for plants. I want to get my garden going, but the weekends are filling up quickly, so I just don't think it's going to happen, so I'm going to grow a few things in containers. I got some sandwich tomatoes and cherry tomatoes as well as some strawberries. I have basil (which I'll get to in a moment), but I wanted rosemary and oregano. Brian wants to feed the birds, so I got a couple of bird feeders. I also wanted some flowers to put at the front door so my "Do Not Disturb" sign isn't as pissy. It's seriously just for the solicitors though. I'm so over it. Anyway.... on to the basil.

My bathroom has a good size frosted-like window. It gives off great filtered light. This is where I decided my orchid would live. And with that decision, I now have an orchid with 20 blooms on it. It's AWESOME. Because the orchid was doing so well, I planted some basil in a tupperware bowl and stuck it up there too. Next thing I knew, I had to move the bugger outside because it exploded into this huge plant!

The week we brought Liam home, I was getting antsy, so while my mom wrangled the toddler and the baby slept, I went outside and chopped the basil down. I threw it in my food processor with a little EVOO, then packed it into ice cube trays. I now have fresh-frozen basil.

Today, I decided I would try it out and see how well it worked. The basil plant has exploded again and I wanted to see if my effort was worth it. So, I tossed a cube in the pan with some squash and garlic and a touch more oil for the veggies. It was glorious! This is now my new favorite thing. I hope to build some flower boxes along my bay window so I can plant more basil. The reason is because one plant makes about 6 ice cubes worth of non-nut pesto and if this becomes my new thing, I'm going to need a lot more.


0 comments:

Post a Comment