Garden Planning

Thursday, January 3, 2013

I'm starting to plan my Spring garden. It's the perfect time to get out there and get everything ready before I have to plant. If only it weren't so flippin' cold. Until then, I can at least get some of the elements ready.

The reason I'm trying to plan so early is because while last Fall's garden wasn't a complete disaster, it was thrown together quite haphazardly.. and I really would like it to be a bigger success this year. The first order of business is to lock the dogs and children out. This was my down fall last year. The dogs got in and while digging and barking/scratching at the back fence, they trampled/ate/uprooted everything that I had planted minus some beans, garlic, basil and dill. This is the general concept of my fence.. it'll hopefully be a little prettier.

I had also intended to winterize the garden, but that never happened. So my huge basil plant froze to an ugly death.

I plan to create areas for climbing plants, like beans and squash.




Brian also has wanted to try potatoes. And while I have never been successful with strawberries, I'd love to try this and see if I'd get better results.



I didn't have anywhere to actually walk last year, so I probably trampled some of my plants as well.



Bird control!They won't eat your berries because they'll think they are rocks. Now... to actually make the time to do this.

Bug control and butterflies! I love ladybugs and the fact that they eat aphids and other bugs makes them even more appealing.

And if I get real desperate for pots, I can make one for about $4.

2 comments:

Adrianne said...

This is awesome! I'm planning to do just a small raised bed this year. It's not much, but it's more than I've ever done (and could be too much for me!) and I'm excited!

Kristal said...

Yay! I did really well with beans last year. Easy to grow if ya want an "almost non-fail" veggie. Just be sure to look to see if they are a bush variety or a vine... I wanted vine, but got bush on accident. Whoops!

Post a Comment