So, upon arriving at the Zoo, I asked if there were any tours that featured the Pandas. The lady lied and said yes. Except, I didn't know it was a lie until about 30 minutes before the tour was to end. It ended up being ok though. I got to spend 2 hours being driven around and getting "backstage passes" to go behind the scenes of quite a few animals.
This is Danai. An 18 year old tiger. Tiger's life expectancy in the wild is about 2 years. Crazy. The entrance to the back of the exhibit was also back here. We got to take a peak through the gate. The tiger on the other side was none too happy to see us and kept jumping up attacking the gate. This was my signal to step back and start heading back to the cart. HA!
We saw the hippos and elephants and a few other animals up close and personal. I really enjoyed hanging out with the giraffes though. Such awesome creatures. This was the last exhibit on the tour. After this, the tour guide actually drove me to the pandas so I didn't have to walk. Sooooo nice of her!
Proof that I actually was there! :)
It was naptime for all of the koalas. They are so adorable! How they don't fall out of the trees is beyond me. The branches look really thin.
I was at the Zoo from 8 to about 4pm. That was plenty of time for me to run out of adrenaline and realize I was completely and utterly spent. I went back to the hotel and did nothing the rest of the evening.
I didn't do a whole lot on Thursday. I just kind of wandered around. Went to Belmont Park, which has a roller coaster. The park was mostly closed though. I walked along the beach, but the lifeguard truck kept following me and getting in the way of pictures, so I gave up and left. Seriously, just worry about the idiots surfing and swimming in the 50 degree water, would ya?
The best food I ate was at the Red Marlin, which was on the hotel premises. Other than that, I wasn't impressed with the Italian or Mexican food I ate. I might be a Mexican food snob though... you would think being pretty much a border town that it wouldn't be so dry though! Plus, everything being 2 to 3 times more expensive - ugh... it definitely cut down on how much stuff I could buy to bring back. Oh well.. I don't need anymore stuff. :p
The last morning I was there, I went to La Jolla Cove. This was pretty cool. There were a few tidepools with some anemones in them, but that was about it. It was the seals that I got a kick out of. They are funny creatures. It was too foggy/cloudy for me to see the sunset the night before which was one of the reasons I decided not to go then. The other reason is the chaos I had with the rent car.
All in all, the trip was great. Very much needed. I think I stayed a day too long, but after coming back to no real help at the house, maybe I didn't stay long enough... sigh. This week is "train Kaylee to sleep on her new mattress" week. The first nap took an hour to get her to lay down and fall asleep. This was after going back and forth reassuring her that it was ok and it was time to sleep. I finally just laid down with her, put my arm around her and she conked out in 5 minutes. I suspect her crying hysterically for the prior hour helped wear her out a little more too. Now I need a nap....
2 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment