Monday's Horror Story

Thursday, November 24, 2011

I'm still kicking myself because well, that's what I do. I had planned to call my grandparents again Monday early afternoon. I had called earlier that morning, but they didn't pick up. Instead, I went shopping for sheets for Kaylee. So while shopping, my grandfather had a major stroke. I found out later that afternoon once my dad got him and my grandmother situated. Kaylee and I went on to swim lessons while all of the chaos was happening. I feel so horrible I was there to help. She blew bubbles for the first time though, so that was good! :p

How it all happened was amazing. He was on the phone with his sister in Corpus. He wasn't able to speak. She told him "I can't help you from here. You need to lift the phone up so (she) can come get the phone."

My grandmother came and got the phone, still not understanding what was going on. His sister told her to hang up and call 911, he's just had a stroke. Sure enough, he had. How did she know to recognize something like that on the phone?!? Just blows my mind, but I am so thankful she knew what was going on and that he was able to lift his arm. If those 2 things hadn't happened, he would not be here today. It was a "20" on the stroke scale, which is severe.

They did surgery late afternoon to remove two clots. It was successful and done under the time they estimated. He'll need another surgery to finish up some repair that they couldn't do, but they have a temporary fix right now that will be good for several months. There's approximately 15% damage, which as of Monday included his entire right side and speech. Tuesday morning, he suffered a seizure. All the scans are coming back clean, so we're glad that didn't cause any permanent damage.

Since the immediate family came together and decided to start limiting visitors, and explaining to the ones we were allowing to keep it short and sweet, he has improved dramatically. Much better than I anticipated. As of today, he has use of all four limbs. The right side is slower, but it's getting better. He recognizes everyone so far and smiles/nods/shakes his head when you talk to him. He was not happy about Dallas winning the football game today, so I know he's comprehending things as fast moving as football (with no sound, mind you) well enough to understand.

The best thing was he laughed. It has only happened once, but it was when his best friend was picking on him like the good ole days, which means it was on command almost - very intended. Some things he's done hasn't been on command, so that had us a bit concerned.. but I think we're making our way over that hump.

He should start rehab next week and I think if he can find his peace with the fact that this is going to suck and be hard, he'll do well. He's a fighter. The nurse today thinks he'll regain his speech and mobility if he gives it time and patience to relearn. In the meantime, we're all concocting ideas on how to give him the ability to communicate with us - simple sign language all the way to an iPad so he can type what he wants.

My grandmother is starting to realize that this isn't going to be an easy road. She seems to be taking that ok. It's going to be a huge adjustment for her once he is home. But, there's so many friends and family and neighbors around that have showed so much love and concern that I don't think she's going to have trouble finding help. ;)

At this point, I do ok while visiting at the hospital. I try to be there if my aunts/uncle or dad can't be so that I can listen to the nurses/doctors with my grandmother. She's only hearing what she wants to hear, so we've found we have to reexplain things to make sure she really gets what is going on. By the time I get home though, I am emotionally exhausted. I think given that he's improving much better and faster than I anticipated, I'll probably be able to handle all of this a bit better soon. But right now, I'm not doing so hot. Here's hoping we can get over this hump and on to the next accomplishment, which will be swallowing and walking.

Keep us in your thoughts, please...

2 comments:

Rain said...

Oh no I am so sorry this happened! I hope he recovers and your grandmother does ok! They will be in my thoughts for sure!

Mr & Mrs T. said...

He's doing SO much better than we anticipated... he's even starting to get some speech back. I'm a tad more relaxed about the whole thing now, but there's still such a long road ahead of him and our family.. thanks for your thoughts!

Post a Comment