Preparing for a Possible Evacuation

Monday, September 5, 2011

So, I guess I spoke too soon. Last week continued to get worse and now it's seeping into this week. There's been death, there's been birth (at least I'm assuming by now Adrianne has had her little girl.. it's been 23 hours since her last post saying she was going to the hospital)... there's been insomnia and snake bites and wildfires galore. The only good thing is the baby! Brian is finally home from his trip and I couldn't have been more excited to see him if I weren't so exhausted from not sleeping for the past few weeks.


Click Here for a Map

Thankfully, 3 of the fires from yesterday in my area were extinguished fairly quickly. Our firefighters are stretched so thin, they were asking for anyone with fire experience to come help... retired, off-duty, etc..

Today, I decided with our neighborhood surrounded by fields - dry fields next to roads where irresponsible people throw their cigarette butts next to - it's probably time to make a list and start putting things in a pile to quickly load into the car. So, here it is:

* insurance papers and birth certificates/passports
* valuable coins/currency in my collection
* both cameras and memory cards/chargers
* laptop and external harddrive
* scrapbooks
** bag of dog food
** diapers and sippy cup as well as some clothes for Kaylee
** an overnight bag for Brian and I with clothes
*** Mac, toys

* is priority
** is 2nd priority if I have room/time... these are things I can buy if I can't take them.
*** is if I'm able to make a second trip to the house... sorry, girl.. I can always replace you but know that if I have room/time, I'll pack ya up.

Other things I need to do now is document everything we have just in case the house burns and we lose everything.

As of right now, there are not any wildfires near us. But, 1 of the 3 yesterday was only about 3 miles away and that has me on edge.

So the question remains - are YOU prepared if a wildfire breaks out near you? What would you grab if you haven't had time to prepare?

0 comments:

Post a Comment