Toddler Room

Saturday, July 16, 2011

We are going to give Kaylee's room a makeover. Something a little more functional. Something a little more "her." Right now, she has her crib, my armoire, two nightstands, an endtable and a chaise lounge crammed in there. It's the safari theme, which in my opinion is pretty neutral. I wanted to see how her personality would play out. She's very playful and sweet and just overall a happy kid. So, here's my plan:

Wall Art, but I may not write out the meanings.


Wall Decals

Here's where I plan to "borrow" an idea Adrianne had. I thought it was so cute! Not sure if I'll do a birdhouse or a birdcage... I think it's going to be a last detail and depend on what I find.

Bed (eventually...) This is at Furniture in the Raw... 
Love this place! Here's hoping the price isn't too bad. 
I'm not sure on the stain yet... probably a lighter one to keep her room bright.
 As for bedding, I'm thinking of keeping things simple... just a plain white bedspread... the walls will be busy enough that the bed can stay simple.

Here is where I'm scared I'll fail. Her room gets HOT. So, I need some good window coverings to block out the heat and light for naps. I also need a lamp. And a small table with chairs (for crafts, etc.). And I want them to be solid wood. I really don't want to buy new furniture for her until she's in high school, or maybe when she moves out... It's not cruel to have a teen in a twin bed, right?

I want to build her closet out with shelves so it'll work as a dresser and storage. Her walls are beige and we don't intend to change that since we're hoping to move within the next 3 years.

I am thinking of buying an artificial branch and wrap a strand of Christmas lights around it as a nightlight... thoughts?

Another thought was to take some cherry blossom flowers and attach them to the wall with the tree and branch... this is where I'm wondering if it'll be too much.

5 comments:

Adrianne said...

Sounds cute! Can't wait to see it all come together!!

I slept in a twin bed all throughout high school, so I don't think it's cruel:)

Mr & Mrs T. said...

Well.. we went and looked at the bed... it's made very cheaply! So frustrating... so we're still on the hunt... We still have a while (year-ish) before she will be ready.. We *might* build it ourselves if I can find good plans online.

Yea.. that's kind of my thought.. if they don't know any different, then it should be fine...

Rain said...

I think it will look cute! I like your ideas! Phene's room gets all the afternoon sun and used to get really hot. We got this window tint from home depot and it's made a HUGE difference, and it doesn't look cheesy.

Mr & Mrs T. said...

Good idea! We have solar screens on the windows.. that helped a little, but I bet the tint helps even more.

Rain said...

It's just a pain in the a$$ to put up...but it's worth it :)

Post a Comment