"Free Gift - No Purchase Necessary"
So, what's the catch? The studios swear there isn't one, but ohhh is there... The packages are not discussed before the shoot, so none of the studios knew I was coming in for just the free (collage, portrait, etc) gift. They did know that I was bringing in a FIVE MONTH OLD BABY.
The first studio I went to was Picture Me. AKA Walmart. Yea... I know. And yes, it was that bad. My appointment was at 12:30pm. I arrived 10 minutes early just like they asked. But, the girl was on the phone. And continued to be on the phone for 15 minutes chit chatting with another store, continually putting her index finger up motioning for me to 'hold on.'
I'm sorry, but when you have a customer in front of you and you are just yapping your gums with a coworker, you tell the coworker you'll call them back. Ugh. She finally got off the phone and then proceeded to tell me the conversation - I DON'T CARE! The session itself was horrible. She was scary. Painted on eye brows. Loud, obnoxious toys that just scared the baby. There were 2 good pictures out of the hour long session.
I finally left Walmart at 2pm. My next appointment was at 3:30pm. Which basically meant I had to rush home and try to get Kaylee to nap for a few moments. Unfortunately, I had to wake her up at 3:15. Nothing like taking a tired baby to get her pictures taken.
The next stop was Sears. There was only 1 girl working and people everywhere. But, she was running around with a huge smile on her face. She loved her job. It just poured out of her. THAT is what I needed in a photographer. But, I already knew the session was going to suck, no matter how good she was.
And it did. Kaylee refused to smile. We were there for over an hour. She let us reschedule, so I go back tomorrow morning.
Today, I thoroughly tortured the child. THREE photoshoots. I probably should have spaced these out a bit more, but I am so busy that I really needed to get this done before I leave for Houston Thursday morning.
I hit the ground running as soon as I got out of bed. We caught another cat (this makes 10). Brian wanted me to try the Humane Society again, but yet again they turned me away saying I needed an appointment. AND I have to sign up for the TNR program. AND I have to PAY for the N part of the TNR. I did not start this problem. I do not have the funds to pay for all of these cats. After I released the cat, I had to hit the bank, then get to Babies R Us. I figured I would arrive a little early so I could get Kaylee out of the truck and calm before the shoot, but they didn't open until my appointment time!
It was so cold out this morning, so I couldn't even walk around. But as I was parking, she smooshed her face, grunted and then giggled. GREAT. Bed Bath and Beyond happened to be open, so I ran in there to change her. But, guess what I left sitting in the living room? WIPES. Was this really how my day was going to go?? I felt so bad that I had to clean her up with rough paper towels :(
9:30 took forever to arrive (ya know - about as long as this blog post is taking... sorry about that). The girl was really sweet. I was hoping for a good session. But, apparently Kaylee had other plans. I think the popping of the flash was scaring her. We got a few good shots, but not many. And as soon as I told the girl I was not in love with any of the shots and that it would be hard to pay for an expensive package, her mood instantly changed and she started being rude. Ugh. It wasn't HER fault! She tried really hard and I told her that... I honestly can't even remember which image I got. But, the girl had a few good ideas, so I'm going to see if I can do them at home since Kaylee smiles for me. I left there at 10:45a.



Our final appointment of the day was at Picture People in Lakeline Mall. The appointment was at 12:30, so I decided it wasn't worth going home to have Kaylee nap, but I knew she was tired, so I just drove around. She slept until 12 which gave me enough time to feed/change her. The guy at the counter was really nice, but unfortunately, someone else was taking the pictures. An unemotional, 'I hate my job' type person. Ugh.
Well, this worked in and against my favor. Of course the shoot was awful and only 30 minutes. I was thinking "I'll be home by 2!" HAHAHAHA I shouldn't have thought so quickly. I came back around 1:15 to review the pictures and here come 'Gary' telling me the boss was mortified by the pictures and begged me to let him redo the shoot. Kaylee instantly smiled for him, so I figured 'ehh... what could it hurt?'
Gary was great. Kaylee was still a pill. But, she smiled for him. PP didn't have a free gift, but they had 6 sheets for $18. Normally, each sheet is $18, so this was a deal in my book and would cover EVERYONE on my Christmas list. Thank goodness for that one perfect shot!
But, after I placed my order, I was ignored. By 2:45, I was starting to get pissed, but then I FINALLY got my pictures. On my way out, I saw Santa.
Yes. Santa. I think he's creepy now, but I knew if I didn't have Kaylee's picture taken with him, I could very well regret it. She was EXHAUSTED though. I asked how much the pictures were, took a quick look at Santa (ya know.. to see if he LOOKED real), and was going to leave.
But then, the teenager working the booth said "There's no line.. and Santa does a really sweet 'shooshing' to a sleeping baby. No obligation, but you are already here - what could it hurt?" Of course, when I handed her over, she woke up. Darn! But, the picture still turned out ADORABLE.
I did feel a bit bad that Brian wasn't there though. I really wanted to do that as a family, but again - there was a time thing. And he's not exactly available during the day.
So, by the end of the day, I figured out that all of the studios did have a catch. Every session took 1-2 hours. They managed to drag out the process so long that I don't think I'll ever do this again - unless it's for free. The pictures, overall, suck. But, I think that was 50% Kaylee. Maybe next year will be better.
4 comments:
Aw - the smiling one is adorable!
The picture of the picture does not do it justice. Her eyes are bright blue - soooo pretty. I can't wait to get it scanned so I can keep it digitally as well.
Okay, that Santa picture is awesome!! And you do HAVE to get the Santa picture, at least the first year. Sophie has her first one with Santa when she is like 8 months but last year at a year and a half? No freaking way! Uh uh. We were all set to go and she was excited and then she got within about 10 feet, pulled at my arm and whispered, "No sit on him lap". So we left. Better luck this year maybe? :)
I LOVE all the pictures by the way! The one with the lights where she is looking at the camera? Love it! :)
I did NOT like the ones with the lights until later.. now I think they are adorable. But, I left saying "I can do that!" but of course I can't seem to find lights like that... I'll hafta use real ones instead.
Post a Comment