to worry about, that is...
Maybe my parents didn't let on to what a pain in the butt it is to make sure we stayed safe, or maybe it wasn't a worry they had to deal with. Car seats weren't law. Drop rail cribs helped keep mom's back healthy. Sleeping on our stomachs prevented us from choking if we spit up. Processed food was the norm. Plastic was the greatest thing ever to store things in. We all survived. But, now... it's all evil.
Even car seats. And the bummer about this is it's a law. You must put your child in one. Not that I wouldn't, but now I know I'm putting her in something that could harm her. It's heartbreaking. Now, I admittedly have only read one article, but as of right now, car seats are linked to the following: reproductive problems, developmental and learning disabilities, hormone imbalances and cancer... oh but that's not all, they can also cause liver, thyroid and neurodevelopmental toxicity.. Isn't that just neat? UGH!
Some of the comments in the article suggest that the child would have to ingest the chemical. Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what is happening.
Carseats have expiration dates. Why? Because the plastic they are made of break down and become brittle. How many of you take your carseat out, base and all, each time? I don't. It sits in the car cooking in 110+ degree weather. I fully believe that the break down process does release chemicals. But, I guess it wasn't a concern - I mean.. the EPA does stay on top of things related to children, right? (you can read my sarcasm, right??)
I don't even know what to do at this point. We have to purchase a convertible carseat soon, so I'm thankful the report has come out now. However, is there a safe carseat out there without the chemical discharge? I don't know. The article doesn't give a complete list, nor does the reference site. Now... I sit and worry. But, hopefully I can find that list to make an informed decision.
2 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment