This story was recently posted on a community that I can't seem to quit, by another member who also has tried to quit (hehehe, damn addiction!). But, after today, I really think I'm ready to give it another try. The responses to this were, in my opinion, disgraceful.
This is a marketing campaign of a salon in Canada. I find it offensive, tacky and just plain ridiculous.
http://www.yesthatjill.com/index.php/awfulmarketingcampaign/
How did this idea even form? You have to have a really cryptic mind to think this is art. And I bet that none of the people involved in this campaign have ever been a victim of abuse. Maybe this just "hits" too close to home. Having been in an abusive relationship, I'm thankful I was strong enough to leave. But many women aren't. They are trapped by the threats. They are trapped by their own sense of self worth. They are sometimes trapped by a mental illness. They are just trapped.
Some of the responses on this article, via the community, were "Ehh.. it doesn't bother me." I replied, "I bet if it were kittens and puppies, ya'll would flip."
Yes, kittens and puppies are defenseless. But, battered women can also be just as defenseless. Women are killed everyday by abuse. It's not nearly as easy to just get up and walk away. It took me a year and a half to do that.
Thank you for posting, KG. You inadvertently helped me see that I just don't belong there and need to really sign off for good. Now.... to actually do that... wish me luck!
2 years ago
3 comments:
Wow. I didn't know abuse and poor taste was En Vogue. Gross. I also battle daily with staying on the community. I've had to stay away from threads that make my blood boil...
Apparently, it is. And apparently, it doesn't bother everyone - which I find a bit disturbing. To promote something so violent and debilitating as "art" just disgusts me. And those who support this disgust me as well.
BTW... I'm apparently REALLY bad about checking my POB... I got your post card! hahahaha Thank you so much, it'll be a lovely addition to my scrapbook section for Halifax. :)
ya bad bad advertising! Agreed!
Post a Comment