Bathroom Redo

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Paint, thankfully, is cheap enough that we can buy some here and there. It can make such a difference. And fortunately, I only wasted 1 gal. I'm still upset by that fact, but it's a neutral color, so I hope I can sell it.

I'll start with the simplest project first... the kid's bathroom. I envisioned a bright, yet modern space that had a kick of playfulness, but didn't seem kidish. It is the guest bathroom as well afterall. I started with searching out artwork. Kaylee has recently become obsessed with Mickey and Minnie Mouse. I love that. Black and white with a dash of red? Uber modern in my book. Compliment with a bright color background and voila! This bathroom practically did itself. While searching, I found that the artists were super proud of their stuff. It kind of makes me mad because they are just cartoons. Super simple to draw. So, that's what I did. I found a couple I liked and drew them out, then colored them with markers. That's the only irritant I have. I couldn't find my prismas to color them properly, so there are color lines... but it's not that bad.


After I found the art and got that taken care of, I searched out a nice bright background color for the walls. I decided on a few blues, then let Brian pick the final choice. This way if he hated it, it was his fault (ha!)



 But, in the end... I love it. It turned out great, imo! I'm going to get some black hand towels, then it'll be done.

On to the harder project... the powder room. It's a smaller space, but took a lot longer to do.


While painting the ceiling, always wear protection... :p Little did I realize, I probably should have worn my glasses because I got paint on my eye lashes. EEK! Way too close for comfort.


Ok, so here I'm wondering what the heck I got myself into. It looks like I've just mudded drywall. LOL
 
 

The taping off too forever. I started by the door, but learned a few hours later that I should have started on the wall without any obstacles. It went much faster once I did that. This is also where I wasted a gallon. The darker color that I originally got was just barely darker, so you couldn't really tell I had done anything. I'll be damned if I'm going to do all that work for just a little pop. So, I went back and got a shade darker than that. It ended up being a little too dark, but there was nothing in between. I still really like the effect though.
 

Voila! I *LOVE* it. I'm planning on doing a plate collage with B&W and teal plates and above the toilet will go Mr. Mannekin Pis from Brussels. As soon as I find the teal plates, I'll post that.



3 comments:

Rain said...

Love it, they both look great!

Adrianne said...

That's awesome! The Micky drawings are fantastic. Very impressed!

Kristal said...

Thanks, Ladies! :)

Post a Comment