
Hershey, your story began while I was in high school. My mom got you for me for my birthday. We scoured the newspapers and ran all over town looking for the perfect dog. Finally, later in the day, we were way down in South Austin off Brodie and her cell phone rings. It's a breeder in Liberty Hill. She had one more miniature dachschund for sale. She warned us that he was the runt of the litter and his tail was broken because his momma got tired during the delivery.
We all met up at the Taco Bell parking lot in Georgetown (waaaay north) and bought Hershey. It was the best $75 ever spent. It took me days to figure out a name for him. I finally landed on Hershey. Mom wanted to name him Bentley because of his tail. But, that's a rich person's dog's name... He was later registered as Hershey von Bentley Mueller.
Hershey was curious about everything. He was my bug dog. Flies and spiders were no match for him in his younger days. He would run constantly either chasing a ball or a bird or a squirrel. He played so hard for so long.
When I was in MS, he fell out of my truck (it was parked) and hurt his back leg. I took him to the vet for xrays. It turns out, even though I have had this dog since he was 8 weeks old (and did not leave him for more than a day until 2003) and there was no sign of trauma to him when we got him (minus the tail), he had a metal pellet in one of his back legs. It never bothered him, but I always wondered how it got there.

Later in life, he would still play with his ball, but not nearly as much. To help keep him young at heart, we'd stick a ball in a box. He'd go NUTS, often times attacking the actual box and forgetting about the ball.
He also loved chasing my RC car that I got as a gag gift one year.
When not running, he would cuddle with anyone that would have him. After about age 10, his breath was named "Death Breath." It was pretty horrid. Only a mother's (and adoptive father's) love could really handle it.
You were a funny little dog... If I didn't pay attention to you, you'd get in my lap. As the minutes of no attention grew, you'd get closer and closer until you were finally resting your forehead on mine.
I loved how he knew if I was sick. He wouldn't leave my side.
Hershey, I always said you were the only man that ever loved me unconditionally. It was true. You were a good dog and friend. I'm going to miss you very, very much. If only I had one more day...

Your final sunset....
2 comments:
I'm sorry I didn't comment on this post sooner. I had been delinquent in catching up on posts, and then when I came across it the first time it was when I had just lost my own little furry companion, and I just couldn't find the words yet.
I know how much this must hurt. I'm so sorry for your loss. He seems like he was truly a special little guy. Hugs to you all.
Hugs to you as well. I haven't made it to yours - I've heard the post is absolutely beautiful. I just can't handle it atm. My post is so scattered.. Thanks for thinking of me. I've been thinking about you as well.
xoxo
Post a Comment