Saving money.. one dollar at a time.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Coincidentally, my friend Tricia asked me about how I'm saving money with homemade household products. I had just run out of dishwashing detergent yesterday, so I was planning to test out the baking soda and borax dishwashing detergent. It calls for 2T of each. I found out that my detergent holder does not hold 4T of powder, so I may have to rewash this load. I'm remedying this by mixing a bunch up and just doing 2T of the mixture.

Last year, I made liquid laundry detergent. It cost me approximately $2. And at the rate it's going, I won't have to make another batch for at least another year. That's right. $1/per year for laundry detergent. I can't even fathom how much people (and myself) spend on something that I'm finding out is a HUGE MARKETING PLOY.

Vinegar is still my best friend. I use so much vinegar, I'm actually considering making it myself to save even more. I just need to get my garage to be organized so I have a place to do so. For vinegar to work, it has to sit for like 6 months.. but if I can figure out how much I'm using, I could literally setup 2 different stations.. one that is sitting and the other that I'm using. By the time I run out, I can make more to sit and start on the batch that is ready. That is a dream at this point, so I have no idea if it'll ever happen.

I also have started following a friend of mine. Her blog talks about how she's working on being more green. So far my 2 favorite posts are: self watering containers and how to drink and be responsible.. haha.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! I love this! I'm not only going to be making that laundry detergent but also the dishwasher detergent- keep the tips coming, baby!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, and guess what the ad right below my comment is for right now? Clorox laundry detergent. Irony.

Mr & Mrs T. said...

And mine is "Free Laundry Detergent Coupons".. hahaha Ohhh behavioral targeting.. how I love and loathe thee!

Mr & Mrs T. said...

The dish washing powder worked just fine! :)

Paula said...

Thanks for the shout out! It's funny we're both experimenting with dishwasher detergent. My recipe is the same half borax/half baking soda and my dishwasher only fits 1 tablespoon or so. I'm pretty happy with the results, the wine glasses do have some residue, but they're clean and I'm not a perfectionist. I consider it good enough!

Mr & Mrs T. said...

Use vinegar for the rinse agent - should fix that problem

Post a Comment