To Teethe or Not to Teethe

Thursday, December 16, 2010

That is the question. One I'm still not certain of the answer. Three days ago I was checking out Kaylee's gums because she has started to bite me (video to come soon). I figure, well.. she must be teething. Lets check it out. I can see where her gums are more white where her two front teeth should appear one day. Two days ago, I'm just being obnoxious and check her again. This time I find this:


My first thought was WTH? She shouldn't be getting a cuspid now! It also looked very high. I promptly send the image to my grandmother, mother and MIL. My mom writes back and says it looks more like an Epstein/Bohan pearl.

Because I'm no doctor and have gotten in trouble with Mr. Google before, I decided just to take her in. It wouldn't hurt.......

I will later eat those words.

Yesterday, we had an appointment at 8:20am. I showed him the pearl and he agreed - it was a harmless cyst. But, he's concerned about her weight. Especially, since she stopped sleeping through the night all of a sudden (a month ago, but I refrained from telling him that). She weighs a whooping 11lbs 9.4oz. Meaning, since her four month appointment a month and a half ago, she's only gained 7.4oz.

He asked if he could run some tests just to make sure nothing was going on. I said "Sure." He checked for an ear infection - negative. Then he wanted to check for a UTI. How the heck do you get a baby to pee in a cup, was honestly my first thought. Then my mind came back to reality and it dawned on me - they would have to cath her. UGH.

Negative for UTI. Oh no, but there's more... let's rule out an infection. That requires a blood sample.

By this point, Kaylee was so frustrated she would start screaming, then stop... scream, then stop... Two hours later, he basically tells me that I'm not feeding her enough. That my supply must be low and that I need to talk to a lactation consultant.

Whatevs... I tried his suggestion of giving her a bottle after I fed her. And guess what! She, who does not refuse a bottle unless she is not hungry, REFUSED THE BOTTLE. Three times.

The child is not hungry. She's just petite.

The lesson of this story? Don't take a baby in for suspected teething, as you may end up putting them through a battery of tests only to be told you are starving her, when you really aren't.

0 comments:

Post a Comment