New Year.... New Start...

Monday, December 23, 2013

November was the breakthrough that we finally needed. After weeks (and really years) of him being just mean, I decided I was done.

I took Kaylee to school and then Liam and I set off to Brian's work. I wasn't sure what I was going to say, but I was convinced I would remain cool, calm, collected and logical about everything. I asked him to come outside. He didn't know I was coming. Then I told him I wasn't leaving until he talked to me. Every time I tried to talk in the past, he would refuse or it would turn into a fight. I was so over that. It wasn't healthy. It wasn't productive.

He answered like usual. "Nothing is wrong."

"Well, if nothing is wrong, then you have no reason for treating me the way you do."

He didn't have an answer. This is when the best line of our marriage flowed out of my mouth... it changed everything.

"I'm not your enemy. Until you believe that, things will never get better. Lets wipe the slate clean and start over. And from here on if there's ANY issues, no matter how small, we talk about it immediately."

It was like a light went off in his head. I wish I had said this years ago. I wish the DWI hadn't happened. But at the same time... timing is everything. If he hadn't gotten in trouble, he would still be drinking. He's over 6 months sober. If I had said let's wipe the slate clean before then, it wouldn't have mattered.

He's sober. It looks good on him. He's a better father, husband, friend, brother, uncle, son... he's just better. I tell them this often in hopes that it will remind him that alcohol will ruin his life if he goes back down that road.

Perfect doesn't exist... but if it did, I would be living a perfect life right now. 2013 sucked so badly... but 2014 is going to rock.

The blog will go back to being public now... here's hoping I never get so depressed that I have to take it offline again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment